When I first started dating my husband, he would often talk about his Mamaw’s homemade apple turnovers and how much he loved them, ever since he was a little boy. Every trip to see his family, we would visit with his grandparents and his Mamaw would make her boy his favorite apple treat. After over a decade of going and watching her make these delicious turnovers, we finally decided to write down the step by step instructions (and of course get her okay to share the family recipe).
Mamaw’s apple turnover are 100% from scratch, however if you aren’t that adventurous, you can certainly use canned biscuits. WARNING: There are NO measurements for any of the ingredients below. Its all by eye and by taste, which means you’ll have to taste as you go, and find the best amounts that fit your liking.
1. Make your dough by using shortening, buttermilk & flour. Knead by hand to make a workable dough.
Tip: If you aren’t that adventurous you can use canned biscuits!
2. Cook fresh apples with cinnamon & sugar to make your filling. (Again add cinnamon & sugar to taste there is no exact measurements here)
3. Roll out your dough to make about a 6” circle.
4. Add your apple filling to the dough, leaving enough room to fold over & press the edges together.
5. Add a little shortening & butter to the pan that is pre-heated to medium-low. Fry the Turnover until golden brown on each side. Make sure that you cook the breading all the way through.
6. Let cool & enjoy!
The great thing about these turnovers is you can fill with ANY fruit. The recipe would be great with peaches or even berries. While these are the PERFECT fall food, we love to eat them year round!
What special food did you love when you were growing up?
For more apple recipes, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Healthy Ambrosia Fruit Salad Recipe by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Fall Entertaining- Apples Apples by Champagne Living
- Mamaws Homemade Apple Turnovers by Controlled Confusion
- Grandma’s Apple Crumb Recipe by Tools 2 Tiaras
- Best Caramel Apple Recipes by Life with Lisa
Would your brand like to participate in #FallFun31? Fill out this form for more information.