Celebrate National Fire Safety and Practice Proper Fire Safety with Kidde Fire Safety Products

This post was sponsored by Kidde Fire Safety as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.

October is National Fire Prevention Month and we are spreading the word about fire prevention all month long! As a family who experienced the detrimental effects of a house fire, we know first hand the importance of fire safety and how having properly working fire alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, and home fire extinguishers can literally save lives. We ensure our home is stocked with the proper equipment to feel safer, like Kidde smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, and fire extinguishers!

Experiencing a house fire was one of the scariest moments of our lives. Everything happened so fast, but fortunately we were able to intervene before the fire was out of control. The fire started on the floor in our kids’ playroom by an electrical outlet. Our kids alerted us as soon as they saw the flames and by the time we got to the room our Kidde smoke alarm was already going off. We keep our fire extinguisher in an easily accessible location, which was key to this situation. Although the distance between the playroom and the active fire was a very short distance, the playroom was almost completely engulfed in smoke by the time my husband started to extinguish the fire. Our entire home suffered from smoke damage and although some material items were lost, everyone was safe, which was the only thing that mattered.

National Fire Prevention Month is a great reminder to take the proper steps to ensure your family is prepared in the event of a house fire. Here are some tips to get you started:

Always have a fire extinguisher handy and be comfortable using it. Every home needs a fire extinguisher, but having it there isn’t enough. In a high stress situation, your adrenaline is going to be through the roof, so you want to make sure you know exactly how to us it. We purchased several fire extinguishers and took turns testing them out. Think PASS when using the extinguisher.

  • Pull pin at the top of the extinguisher which will break the seal.
  • Aim and approach the fire standing at a safe distance.
  • Squeeze the handles together to discharge the extinguishing agent inside.
  • Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire, until the fire is out

Make sure you have working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms. A good rule of thumb is to change the batteries in the alarms every time you switch the clocks for daylight savings, but you should also do regular testing of the alarms to ensure they are working properly. Our Kidde smoke alarm alerted us fast enough to allow us to get the kids out of the playroom before it was filled with smoke.

Set a fire escape plan and have frequent drills so everyone knows what to do in the event of a house fire. We had specific plans in place depending on where we were located in our home during a fire. While my husband was safely able to extinguish the fire, in the event a fire becomes too large or out of control, it is best to immediately exit the location and immediately call 9-1-1.

To learn more about Kidde Fire Safety systems for your home during National Fire Prevention Month, follow them on

Our home renovations included restocking our Kidde Fire Extinguisher and also installing additional smoke alarms in multiple rooms. Thanks to Kidde Fire Safety Products, our home was salvaged and not a complete loss during our house fire last year. We are hopeful we won’t experience another house fire, but can rest assured knowing we are prepared in the instance one was to occur in the future.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.