Parenting in the modern world of technology comes with so many challenges that can be hard to fathom for the older generations. When my husband and I got married, we dreamed of having a family and accepted the challenges of parenting, but had no idea developing safe digital habits would become part of that parenting plan. T-Mobile took charge of giving parents control over their kids’ phones and screens with their app and device combo, FamilyMode.
Our oldest son is approaching the age where many of his friends have cell phones. Although he’s about to turn 8, the majority of American kids receive their first phone by the time they turn 10 years old and spend an average of 19 hours per week on their connected devices. Our kids love to play on their iPads and we are continuously concerned about the amount of time they spend on the screen each day. As diligent as we are, we have no way to see how much time our kids are engaged in specific apps like gaming. Until recently, most parental controls didn’t offer a comprehensive solution to ensure kids are not excessively utilizing their devices.
We were so excited to test out FamilyMode by T-Mobile for our techie crew! T-Mobile FamilyMode is an app and device combo that gives parents control over their kids’ screens, whether its their phone, tablets, gaming consoles, laptops, smart TVs or any other Wi-Fi-connected devices in your home. The app portion gives you control over phones while the T-Mobile FamilyMode Home Base connects to your home’s Wi-Fi, giving you the control over their other connected screens. With T-Mobile FamilyMode, we can manage, monitor, filter and set time limits for our kids’ devices. Best of all, with T-Mobile it’s only $10/month!
Here’s how you can get FamilyMode:
- Conveniently download the app from the app store on your iOS or Android smartphone or tablet.
- Pick up the T-Mobile FamilyMode Home Base for only $20 (for limited time) and gain access to manage the devices in your home connected to your Wi-Fi router.
- New and existing customers can sign up in T-Mobile retail stores, online, or by calling 1-800-T-Mobile.
- Pick up the FamilyMode Home Base at any T-Mobile store or call 1-800-T-Mobile (existing customers can dial 611 from their T-Mobile phone).
GREAT NEWS! T-Mobile FamilyMode is available to ALL T-Mobile postpaid customers on a T-Mobile ONE or Simple Choice consumer plan!!
In addition to FamilyMode, T-Mobile ONE family accounts (two or more lines) also includes ALL these Un-carrier benefits at no extra cost:
- Family Allowances: you can monitor talk and text usage on the lines on your T-Mobile account. For families, this is a great way for parents to manage their kids’ smartphone activity
- Netflix On Us: through an exclusive partnership, get astandard 2-screen subscription at no extra charge
- Simple Global: unlimited text and data roaming and low flat-rate calling in 140+ countries
- Mobile Without Borders: use your device in Mexico and Canada with unlimited talk, text, and data and up to 5GB of 4G LTE
- Gogo Inflight: get unlimited texting all flight long and 1 free hour of smartphone Wi-Fi on all domestic flights
- DIGITS: use up to five numbers on one device, or use one number on multiple devices
- MobileHotspot: connect all your devices to the internet with included tethering data
- Un-contract: only you have the power to change the price you pay
- Carrier Freedom: we help cover your switching costs
- T-Mobile Tuesdays: get thanked with free stuff every week just for being a customer
Summer is in full swing, which means lots of downtime and opportunities for our kids to have screen time. Thanks to T-Mobile FamilyMode, I can automatically set summer hours with no fighting or negotiating. FamilyMode allows me to set a time limit and time frame so my kids cannot use their device before 8 am or after 8:30 pm. The screen time for summer is now something we can all set and forget!
*This post is sponsored by T-Mobile.