We all want to do right by our kids. We give them rules and regulations to stick to and guide them the best we can but in today’s world there are plenty more dangerous things around than there were when we were growing up. Most of which are connected to the internet. Online people can pretend to be anyone that they want and this can affect children who will be too innocent not to believe it. It can lead to dangerous situations and compromise their wellbeing and safety so staying vigilant as a parent is key.
How to protect them online
Your kid maybe uses a computer or laptop, or ipad already and this means that they have access to everything online. Including chat rooms and other things that they can connect with the outside world. This isn’t easy to monitor but there are ways to stop your child from accessing certain sites which is a great idea. There are many ways to childlock and childproof the internet and stop them from going onto websites they shouldn’t. Kids often use the internet as a type of entertainment, maybe to play games or to have access to apps or speak to their friends but it isn’t always this reason. Sometimes they start talking to someone on a site or even social media and it can lead to online bullying or worse.
It is good to look into the options available such as spy apps which you can use to monitor your kids and keep an eye on what they’re doing, and who they’re talking to. This may sound overfill at first, it’s just a way of being responsible. You want your children to be safe and monitoring their actions is a great way to do this. It is about protecting them and also confronting them about these issues. You can learn more about spy apps and get the right app for you which will allow you to monitor things with or without them knowing but laying down the law and keeping them aware of the dangers can help. You need to ensure that your child knows the issues that can arise from talking online to strangers or even online bullying.
Here are some other ways that you can keep your kid safe online:
- Get educated on it all – be educated on the types of things kids are doing today and the issues that could arise from it. Educate yourself on all the worst case scenarios which sound dramatic but can happen.
- Put the tablet/computer in a communal place – the house computer should be around where you can see it as well as your child’s laptop and ipad and encourage them to use it around you and not in their room when they may be more likely to go on inappropriate sites.
- Install a safeguard program – this can block out bad sites and help you regulate what they can and can’t see. It’s important to do this so it puts your mind at ease and they can also be aware that there are certain things they should not be doing online.
- Set up rules – give your kids a set amount of time for using the computer and allow them time away from the screen as this is good for their wellbeing. Promote outdoor activities and time with friends too as this could help them greatly to stay away from any online activity.
- Use technology to build a relationship – your children need to know you care and by discussing the problems and dangers, you can help your child realise that you do care about them and that you have their best interests at heart.
- Set up parental control – they need to know you are doing this so it keeps them less likely to engage in anything online. You can do this by navigating to the by selecting Parental Control > Managed Sites. Then you can block access to certain websites from local devices. Click Enable> Blocked Sites: Click Add and enter the URLs of the websites to be blocked, and set up a time schedule. This is the best way to do this.
Keeping your kids safe online doesn’t have to be as difficult as you think. If your child is a little older and doesn’t want to listen to you then you can use the spy apps to really help keep them safe without them even knowing. This way you don’t have to deal with the backlash and can still ensure they are safe.