With the holidays upon us, we are tempted with lots of yummy food and treats. The average weight gain during the holiday season is 5-7 pounds, but wouldn’t it be nice to be able to enjoy all the food without the added weight gain! I, myself, like to indulge during the holiday season, but refuse to add on those pounds. Here are 5 ways to enjoy this holiday season without gaining.
- Don’t Arrive Hungry- Snack on nutritious foods before going so you are less tempted to over eat at the party
- Limit Alcohol- When someone drinks we all know that inhibitions are lowered so we would be more tempted to eat whatever we wanted and not feel guilty about it until the next day. Alcohol also has sugar in it and is empty calories. I don’t know about you, but I would rather eat my calories than drink them. If I am the only one not drinking, then my go to is a seltzer with lime so at least I am holding onto something.
- Be A Food Snob- When I go to a party I scope out the food table to see what looks good. I may take a small taste of a few things to see which one is my favorite but I will then only choose things that were absolutely delicious to me.
- Bring Your Own- Whenever I go to a gathering I always bring something to share so why not bring something that is healthy and yummy!
- Be Active- Whether it’s just going for a family walk or if you are a diehard gym goer. Being active will not only keep your metabolism up, but it will also help from weight gain AND keep you feeling great!!
The holidays are my favorite time of year and I do enjoy the delicious food that only comes around during this the holiday season. These are the things that I do so I don’t add on those extra 5-7 pounds.
What healthy dish do you bring to holiday parties?